Sunday, February 6, 2011

Making Difficult Choices... Florida or Merced

Pre Script: Keep reading it will get to the point about my current situation....

During the tumultuous weeks ending March 2009, with everything going down at wells.... I applied to grad school at the University of Utah MBA/MHA program to begin that same year. I worked hard on the application as it was being submitted at the last minute, and amazingly I received an acceptance invitation to attend the program. However, during the weeks waiting for a response I began volunteering at a local hospital in the emergency room. I met with and talked to everyone in the healthcare field inquiring about the prospect and opportunities as a health care administrator. I began to feel very uneasy about the profession and I became fascinated and intrigued with the profession of the physician assistant. So when the acceptance letter came, wow I had to make a decision that would affect the course of my life forever. I called the office and also sent an email explaining that I would not be attending the MBA/MHA program due to changes in my life and the inability to continue that direction. To make things worse a few day latter I received an email offering me a full scholarship to attend, along with an application to receive room and living expense aid through an endowment fund. Tuition was very high for the program and this scholarship changed things. It was hard to say no, but I did.

Difficult Decisions: How often do the life changing decisions come around? What do you do?

Flash forward a few years to the present day. In September I was accepted to a great PA program in Jacksonville Florida. It is in a great location and a good place for our family to have new experiences. I immediately put a deposit down for the school to reserve my spot. The tuition is reasonable and the program is solid. It was easy saying no to other offers that began coming after September; However last week I was accepted to the only school that I would otherwise consider, UC Davis. The program is at the medical school in Sacramento and I would only have to drive up a few times each month as it is community based and worked mainly via the internet for lectures and assignments the first year. We wouldn't have to move out of the city where we have family and friends etc. So do I move the family to Florida or stay in Merced?? It will be hard to not look back down the road of life and wonder what would have happened if I chose the other.


No comments: